Monday, August 9, 2010

North Dakota Skies



Sometimes I think God paints our skies. Because when I walk outside and see sunsets like this, I know it can be nothing but divine.



About a week ago, my best friend calls me up around 8:00. "Have you SEEN the sky?" she asks me. I rush outside to be greeted with the most beautiful, almost surreal, sunset I have ever seen. Everywhere I look, colors are vibrant, almost glowing. Colors so thick I can reach out and feel them on my fingertips. It was stunning. And I bet you, if you asked him, God would say he titled his masterpiece "Life" because that evening, the sky was a battle between good and evil. Light and dark. Glory and damnation.

Running parallel to Cascade Mountain, deep indigo hues hover ominously. They stretch across the landscape, and in a few days--bring on a lightning storm. In their own way, they are beautiful. But uneasiness greets my reception.



Met with the foe, both light and dark clash right above Timp, creating an intense scene of awe and beauty. It seems celestial, the golden hues, compared to the ominous black. The images are surreal, truly like painted canvas.



Beyond the storm, blue and gold meet pink skies. The images were breathtaking. I don't think I could describe it for you with words, but luckily pictures will do.




We're all out there: me, my sister, my mom and little brothers. Plus all the neighbors. We chat for a bit: Sister Spotts says it's tornado sky, and in North Dakota where she grew up, you'd be running for your basement. In Utah, I figured it wasn't a threat, which is good because if I saw this in North Dakota, the only place I'd be running is to my camera.

But what do you expect? I have to take in every bit of the world, because it won't be the same tomorrow. For now--




Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment