Thursday, January 5, 2012

Why I Say I'm Sorry

I say the words "I'm sorry" quite a lot. And it's not that I go around bumping into people or yelling mean things or doing anything that later requires an apology, but it's just that sometimes I feel like I need to say "I'm sorry."

I end up saying sorry for things that I really don't need to be sorry for. Talking too much to my friends, cleaning up a game, coughing too loud, whatever it might be. In my head it's the only thing I can really say in certain moments, and saying I'm sorry tends to help me feel less obnoxious, even if I'm not. And while it's not excessive, (usually no one notices), today one of my friends responded to my "sorry" with a sigh and the response, "You say you're sorry for like everything!"

Since that, I've been thinking about the reasons why I say sorry a lot. It's been on my mind all day, and I think I have it figured it out.

There are exactly three reasons why I say I'm sorry:

1. To apologize
2. To excuse minor or accidental offenses
3. To make me feel less insecure

The first two are obvious uses, but I especially do number three A LOT. Whenever I feel uncomfortable, when I'm worried about being annoying or offending someone with my existence, I say I'm sorry for everything. Maybe it's not the best habit, but it's certainly not the worst. Sometimes I'm just really really sorry because I'm really insecure for whatever reason. Super pathetic, but at least now it has an explanation. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment