Friday, February 17, 2012

How Statistics Complicated My Life

In Statistics, there is the phrase, "Association does not imply causation." It means that just because two things are related in effect does not mean that one is the cause of the other. However, this principle is quite possibly the most abused in the history of mathematics, logic, society, etc. It's a logical fallacy, even. And it drives me CRAZY.

You see it all the time.

Did you know that a mother's stress level affects her baby's gender?
And that getting less or more than exactly seven hours of sleep doubles your risk of heart attack or stroke?
Apparently not brushing your teeth puts you at risk for dimentia,
and Drinking too much soda will give you nervous disorders.
Oh, and did you know that women who receive Botox injections are less likely to be able to read facial expressions on other people?
And facebook can help you lose weight!!!!

No, really?

This is ridiculous.

I feel like no one outside of a high school statistics class understands the case in priniciple, and I think that the whole lot of them paparazzi and health journal editors should go take a stats class sometime. They need it. So while it's no secret that Statistics is my least favorite class, it has definitely educated me in how not to trust anything any doctor, journalist, or statistician tells me.

In a way I'm grateful. I will never be the victim of taking a statistic or medical study literally. But, then again, ignorance is bliss. Unfortunately I'm one Stats class too late for that.

Gosh, life is so complicated. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment