Friday, September 10, 2010

Life, and all that Jazz

It's amazing to me to think of how quickly time passes, once things really get rolling. Lately with my life being so exciting and busy--school starting, homecoming, pep band, lessons, competitions, auditions, etc.--I've found that the more time consumed by said activities, the less time I spend thinking and musing.

Not that I don't do it at all, I still pace around the house, the yard. Drift off during the really long and boring lectures given me by Mr. King... but still, I think my journal and this blog testify to my being born back into life. I'm back on the highway.

But you know what? It's beautiful, too. I love being relaxed and reflective, but I love being busy just as much. It's what I live for, that cycle of work-relax-reflect-involve and through again. It's part of what makes me who I am, it's what I do.

Recently (as if you couldn't tell), it's been music season for me. Forgive my spurting... but here's a word on that note. Pun intended.


The Crescent Octet isn't what I expected when I auditioned for Super Band. It wasn't what I thought I wanted, but now that I think of it, it's what I was headed for all along.

I was so close to making SB. So close, in fact, that there were only two reasons I didn't make it in: 1. Politics, and 2. Energy

But honestly, The Octet is an answer to many prayers. For one thing, though I'm invited, I don't have to go on tour to Japan (though I would love it, if it weren't for the cost). Also, I have to think of the vision Caleb has for this group. This is the first year the Octet will take the stage, and it's their goal to create a legacy. The Crescent Octet is intended to be another, equal group counter to Super Band. It has the same high expectations, plays at the same level in a combo setting, and will create the same renown--but that last bit is up to us.

I am going to be a part of this: The Crescent Octet. Though I was set on SB, it didn't occur to me that the Octet would be a better choice. It will offer me what Super Band can't: critical individuality, improvisational confidence, and a year to get familiar with the program. After that, Ray says, nothing will stop me. I will have emerged a prominent musician, one SB can't turn down. I count on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment