Thursday, June 7, 2012

Confession: Sometimes I Pretend I'm an Artist

Last night, I was going through all my old piano books in preparation for moving out. I sat pulling them out of shelves, and drawers, and piles on top of the piano. When I got to the cabinet, to my surprise I discovered my old eighth grade sketchbook! I took a drawing class that year (my only art class ever), and as a requirement we were supposed to turn in five sketches every Monday. The entire sketchbook was full of bottles of ketchup, Windex, various Christmas decorations, random furniture, and views of my house. There were also a few self-portraits. At the time I thought they looked just like me, but as I glanced over them for the first time since eighth grade, I thought to myself, "I could do so much better than this!"

Honestly, the thought came as a surprise to me. I haven't drawn since eighth grade. Not a single thing. Why, after four years, would I suddenly have the inspiration to do a self-portrait now? Drawing just isn't something I like to do--and besides, I can only draw what I see. Regardless, I found myself an hour later carefully sketching my profile using one of my senior pictures as a guide.

This morning, I finished.
And you know? It's not too bad! :) I can pretend that I'm an artist, but I also know that doesn't make me one! :D And I'm okay with that. :)


1 comment: