Wednesday, October 24, 2012

You are Now Entering the Rant Zone.


First Year Writing.
*dramatic pause*

There could NEVER be enough said. I hate it from the depths of my very soul. With a fiery, burning passion that threatens to consume my sanity and overthrow all self-restraint. Honestly, the course was invented by Satan to infect the otherwise pure BYU education system. I should have dropped it when I had the chance. I knew right off the bat it wasn't going to be pleasant, but I stayed anyway. it's too late to fail now, but I'm giving it my best shot.

I just hate whole idea of "glorifying community."
My teacher belongs to an unofficial guild of writers and thinkers who are overly obsessed with life-changing experiences and the power of words. She has us go out to an assigned "site" in Provo, and literally experience it. As in, show up and wait for some grand spiritual manifestation of intellectual and cultural brilliance. Then we write a paper about it. Lather, rinse, repeat three more times, and boom. Our lives are forever changed. Supposedly.

I really think that people these days make way too big a deal out of

Oh, but I get it. She's just trying to get us to expand our opportunities and enhance our relationships with our community. I get it; she's just trying to help us become better thinkers, and better writers about the topics we think about. I get it; she's just trying to give us an appreciation of words and awareness.

There are plenty of people who live their lives happily and fulfillingly without ever branching out and "experiencing" a larger community. Those kinds of things happen spontaneously, without outside intervention. As Naomi Shihab Nye puts it,

"You can't order a poem like you order a taco."

Well, the same goes for life-changing experiences, (and good attitudes. I apologize for my cynicism)

Enough of that. On to happy things!

You are now leaving the Rant Zone.



No comments:

Post a Comment